Networker

[Networker] Extended attributes support for Linux?

2007-06-07 11:52:01
Subject: [Networker] Extended attributes support for Linux?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:47:27 -0400
Hi

I'm seeing some occasional messages from NetWorker regarding "Unable to get size of extended attribute names" for a particular save set on a RH Linux client (AS release 3; 2.4.21-47.ELsmp), but we're not using extended attributes on any of the data or the file system or affected directory (save set). Why would NW issue these messages? I don't see these messages on any other save sets under that same file system nor do these messages occur on any of our other hosts, and some of the other hosts
are running the same version and patch level of Linux.

We're running NW 7.2.2 on Solaris 2.9 (primary server). Data gets backed up to a storage node (RH ES3) running
NW 7.2.2. Client is running NW 7.2.2.

What exactly does this message really mean, or what is the consequence? I am able to recover the data.

I did find the following on EMC's Knowledgebase:
ID: esg69745
Scheduled saves of a Linux client report error: 'Unable to get size of extended attribute names'
Solution:
Fact: NetWorker for Linux
Fact: Kernel Patch 2.4.18-14
Symptom: Error: 'Unable to get size of extended attribute names'
Cause: To support extended attributes, Linux requires a kernel patch
Fix: Install the latest kernal patch 2.4.29

This doesn't seem particularly helpful, though, as there's no explanation of what the result is or how exactly to interpret this message. Moreover, we're not using extended attributes, and we never see these messages for any of the other save sets or clients.

Any help would be appreciated.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210