Networker

[Networker] Are messages about extended attributes important?

2007-06-06 18:35:18
Subject: [Networker] Are messages about extended attributes important?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:31:17 -0400
I occasionally see the following message from the savegroup completion notification for one of my groups:

* client:/0/exports/dir1 save: Unable to get size of extended attribute names : No such file or directory * client:/0/exports/dir1 save: Warning: Problem getting extended attribute names

The backup for the save set always completes, however, and I am able to recover the data. Has anyone else seen this before??? Is this message significant? Is this anything to worry about or is this just harmless noise? Or does it mean that NW was unable to back up one or more files or that it somehow had a problem in determining which files to back up, so maybe there's one or more files that should have been backed up that weren't?

When this message occurs, I never see any errors specifying a specific file that it was not able to backup, so I'm curious what exactly NW is trying to do when this happens, and what I should infer from this. The whole thing is very nebulous.

We're running NW 7.2.2 on Solaris 2.9 (primary server). Data gets backed up to a storage node (RH ES3) running NW 7.2.2. Client is running NW 7.2.2 on Linux RH AS3. The parent file system (/0) for the affected directory is type ext3. 'lsattr -d /0/exports/dir1' shows '-------------'. Ditto for all the directories and files underneath when running 'lsattr /0/exports/dir1'. Also, 'getfattr -d /0/exports/dir1' returns nothing. Ditto for 'getfattr -R /0/exports/dir1'. There are several other save sets that live
under /0/exports that I do not see this message on, however.

I checked the listing, and there was an earlier post back in December 2006 titled: "Unable to get size of extended attribute names" concerning this issue wherein recovery of the data restored empty files. But in that case, there was also a "Function not implemented" message that accompanied this message. There were some suggestions that something might be up with the file system itself; e.g. 'lsattr'. According to the original author's final reply, downgrading the client to 7.1 resolved the issue after it was apparent that 'getfattr -d /pathname'
resulted in "Function not implemented". I'm not seeing this.

There are 20 save sets in this group. This is the only group that I see this message on, and it's only occurring on one of the 20 save sets (always the same one) and all from the same client. The save set (path) in question still appears to get backed up. 'Auto media verify' is set to 'Yes' for the given pool, and the affected save set always gets listed with a 'V' for verification even
when this message occurs.

It has occurred 8 times since Jan 2007. The group runs nightly. Also, cloning is enabled for the group. Queries against the media database for the group do not indicate any 'clflags' for any of
the save sets, and all the 'ssflags' values are vF or vrF.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210