Networker

Re: [Networker] Volume name/barcode mismatch

2007-06-06 17:17:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Volume name/barcode mismatch
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 17:12:57 +1000
Ouch!

Networker's understanding of the physical ordering of the tape drives in
your library must be wrong - have a look at the end of the nsrjb output
(last 10 or so lines)   this will list the tape devices and their
physical numbering in the library:

Eg:

drive 1 (/dev/rmt/1cbn) slot 290: 102495 (mounted)
drive 2 (/dev/rmt/2cbn) slot 229: 101078 (mounted/write protected)
drive 3 (/dev/rmt/3cbn) slot 168: 101411 (mounted/write protected)
drive 4 (/dev/rmt/4cbn) slot 112: 102475 (mounted)
drive 5 (/dev/rmt/5cbn) slot 116: 102493 (mounted)
drive 6 (/dev/rmt/6cbn) slot 153: 102664 (mounted)
drive 7 (/dev/rmt/7cbn) slot 235: 101084 (mounted)
drive 8 (/dev/rmt/8cbn) slot 152: 102651 (mounted)

In your case   the /dev/rmt   filehandles    are NT \\Tape type handles,
but it's the same issue - you need figure out which \\Tape or /dev
handle relates to which drive number and either re-do your jbconfig from
scratch or use jbedit to delete and add the drives into the right order.

Also, You can use nsrjb -l -S 1 -f \\TapeXYZ   to be explicit and tell
networker to put the tape fropm slot 1 into drive \\TapeXYZ you can do
this to each drive in turn to figure out what is wrong - networker will
only mount the tape if the drive is correctly configured.

Once it is done I would recommend running a (can be very slow)   nsrjb
-IE     to make sure all your tapes are inventoried correctly and all
barcodes match the volume label on the tape.