Networker

Re: [Networker] inqure & jbconfig not working in Solaris 9/10

2007-05-29 15:21:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] inqure & jbconfig not working in Solaris 9/10
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:18:48 +0300
If the HBA's PCI inquiry string is not in lus.conf, inquire will not show the devices. I had a similar issue with an Emulex 9802 HBA on a Sparc 280R with Solaris 9. What you need to do is (that's of course after the proper installation of HBA drivers, zoning or any other OS related issues):

Run lusbinfo and find out the inquiry string of your HBA (my two Emulex shows up as pci10df,f9800 and pci10df,f9801):

# lusbinfo
# busses: 7
Bus #0 is 'pci1000,f0', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #1 is 'pci1000,f1', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #2 is 'pci10df,f9800', dma_max=-1, initiator ID=255, ntargets=32, nluns=8, lus cloning enabled

Bus #3 is 'pci1077,10162', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #4 is 'pci1077,10163', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #5 is 'fp0', dma_max=16777216, initiator ID=127, ntargets=126, nluns=7

Bus #6 is 'pci10df,f9801', dma_max=-1, initiator ID=255, ntargets=32, nluns=8, lus cloning enabled

You need to edit /usr/kernel/drv/lus.conf and add this to the end of the known-scsi-adapters strings pci10df,f980:32-8C . Notice that you need to omit the last digit. The 32 is number of targets on the bus and 8 is max luns per targets. C stands for cloning (whatever that means, this was suggested for the Emulex 9000 cards, so I figured it will be suitable here as well). Anyhow, all these are documented in the file itself.

Curtis Preston wrote:
I'm trying to configure NetWorker on three test machines where we JUST
previously had NBU installed and running fine.  They can all see a Fibre
Channel attached VTL that's pretending to be ATL P1000 with 8 9840C
drives in it.  NBU configured this and used it NO PROBLEM.

We UNinstalled NBU and made sure the sg driver was gone. Now we're
trying to install NW, and it's giving us fits.  It configures just FINE
on the RedHat Enterprise Linux server, but it won't configure on the
Solaris 9 or 10 box.
On both systems, I can see the proper number of devices in
/dev/scsi/changer and /dev/scsi/sequential, but...

On Solaris 9, it lists 64 different instances of the robot device, and
on Solaris 10 it lists NONE.
I even tried manually configuring them using the device I can see in the
/dev/scsi/changer, and it says it sees no robot there.  What's up with
THAT?

HELP!!!