Networker

Re: [Networker] Tuning Networker for multiple CPUs

2007-05-14 09:43:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tuning Networker for multiple CPUs
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:40:29 -0400
Answers to questions are below... ---->

-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Fazil Saiyed
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 9:16 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] Tuning Networker for multiple CPUs

Hello,
Not sure if you are running Standard or enterprise version of Windows ?
---> Standard
Your responce time lag may be related to other  server issues and
networker load at the time of backups?
1. Check Task Manager for CPU, Memmory , Disk Que lenth, Page file &
work ques among others to find the bottleneck.
2. Does the server have enough Phisical memory to support it ?
---> Server has 2 GB of Memory - Enough to handle the load I would think

3. Can you stagger Groups to better load balance the server ?How many
clients does the server support ? How much data do you backup ?
---> Groups are already staggered. 85 Clients , Backups Avg 8 TB a week
- 750-850 GB per night avg.

4. Can you sperate Full backups of Test server client on a different day
then production backups ?
---> Not really - One group of clients (20%) gets full saves every
night...(per management request). The remaining clients - Have to
manually 'level load' them throughout the week, there are full save
schedules setup for each different weekday, some on Monday, some on
Tues, some on Wed..... There are no test servers per say, all are
production.

5. Does the bottleneck happen throughout the backup cycle or just during
a perticular time , is your backup server dedicated server or handles
other tasks ?
----> During peak times (8pm - 10pm) and 1am - 5am. Server is dedicated
to backups only...

6. User performance monitor if possible outside of the server to monitor
its workload.
---> Our Windows Admin is checking into that....

7. Depending on the results you may need to add a storagenode, scatter
your backup routine and or upgrade your server.
---> We were thinking of adding a tape drive (currently have 3 LTO2
drives)