Networker

Re: [Networker] large messages file

2007-05-10 22:43:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] large messages file
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:41:05 +0100
Duross, Theresa (DET) wrote:
> What can be done to decrease the size of my nsr/logs/messages file on the
> server?  Can it be safely deleted?  I am running Networker 6.1.3build428
> Network Edition.

You could run a script to tidy up your messages and daemon.log files. I
have one that you could use - I run it weekly from cron.

#!/bin/ksh
# rotate_nw_logs
# Rotate NetWorker logs 1.4

[ -z "$(ps -ef | grep /nsrd | grep -v grep)" ] && exit

umask 022
LOGDIR=/nsr/logs
typeset -Z3 MAXVERS MAXVERSPLUS1
# value below needs to be the same as the value of MAXVERS set in
/etc/init.d/networker
MAXVERS=12
let MAXVERS-=1
cd $LOGDIR
while [ $MAXVERS -gt 0 ]; do
        let MAXVERSPLUS1=$MAXVERS+1
        [ -f messages.$MAXVERS ] && mv messages.$MAXVERS \
messages.$MAXVERSPLUS1
        [ -f daemon.$MAXVERS ] && mv daemon.$MAXVERS \
daemon.$MAXVERSPLUS1
        [ -f summary.$MAXVERS ] && mv summary.$MAXVERS \
summary.$MAXVERSPLUS1
        chmod 644 daemon.*
        let MAXVERS-=1
done
mv messages messages.001
[ -f summary ] && mv summary summary.001
> messages
kill -1 $(cat /etc/syslog.pid)
cp -p daemon.log daemon.001