Networker

Re: [Networker] disk backup questions??

2007-05-01 08:11:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] disk backup questions??
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:05:31 +0300
mark wragge wrote:
Hi, I know that these questions have been covered before but i would like to clarify a few features of advance file device disk backup. How many savesets clone at a time for a single advanced file disk device?

Savesets are cloned one at a time according to the staging policy. Once staged, they are deleted at once (with the 7.2.2Jumbo + latest hotfix, it introduces about two seconds delay (if I am not mistaken) for each cloned saveset, so if you cloned 1000 savesets, nsrstage will wait ~500 seconds before it starts deleting them from the adv_file).

  When cloning is running can I perform a restore?

  I don't clone so I cannot tell.

  When staging is running can I perform a restore?

  No. The restore will hang till the stage finishes.

  When staging is running can I perform cloning?

  If I cant restore during staging/cloning then can I prioritize a restore so
that if cloning or staging is taking place, and I initiate a restore, then the
restore will start and the cloning /staging will pause.

I didn't find such an option. In theory, you could mount the adv_file elsewhere (on the client that runs the recover) and access the saveset directly. I tried that but couldn't get it to work (it insisted on using nsrmmd). The Chapter 5 of the Admin guide has a table that shows what you can do concurrently with adv_file.

Our Cloning is running at 10mb/sec from disk to tape? The speed does not change no matter if the saveset contains one single file (exchange database) or many files (fileserver). Where is the speed restriction likely to be - the number of savesets that clone at once; the read access from the disk; or the tape device (LTO Ultirum).

When staging from a LUN on EMC AX150 to an LTO-2/LTO-3 on Sun 280R I can see over 30Mb/s (which is LTO-2 max native speed). This speed goes down if backup is running at the same time.

  What are the exact details of your setup ?

Thanks. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

-- Yaron.