Networker

[Networker] Need help with cleaning tape mess

2007-04-20 17:46:33
Subject: [Networker] Need help with cleaning tape mess
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:45:36 -0400
Hi,

I'm really asking two questions here:

First, I'm having a problem wherein if I use nsrjb to inventory either of two slots (41-42) that I've set up for cleaning it does nothing, which is exactly what I would expect, but if I instead do the inventory in the GUI, it actually loads the darn tape into the drive which is what I *don't* think it should be doing.

I have a Quantum M1800 tape library with 42 slots. Slots 41-42 are the fixed slots. The M1800 actually consists of two M1500s in a stack, each having 21 slots (the last slot for each being a fixed slot) and two SDLT-600 drives each for a total of four drives. This is running on a
Linux storage node using NW 7.2.2.

I changed the available slots under NetWorker from 1-42 to 1-40. I understand that this only effects slots that will be used for backups, not recovers or inventories or nsrjb, but doing this still seemed reasonable. Next, I set Auto-clean to yes, and I then set the cleaning slots to 41-42. I then ran the following command on the storage node to set up the cleaner tape usage:

nsrjb -s server -U 20 -S 41
nsrjb -s server -U 20 -S 42

NetWorker reports the following for these two slots:

41: Cleaning Tape (20 uses left) CLN032S3                       -
42: Cleaning Tape (20 uses left) CLN033S3

BUT, each time I inventory either of these two slots (or both) from the GUI, NetWorker ALWAYS insists on loading *only* the tape in slot 41 (never slot 42, never mind the fact that it shouldn't be doing either) and then decrementing the uses for the tape in slot 41. In fact, it reports the following message
during the inventory:

Fri 20:27:02 device cleaned notice: device `rd=snode:/dev/nst1' (1) in jukebox `rd=snode:M1800' cleaned at `Fri Apr 20 20:27:02 2007'

It doesn't do this, however, when using nsrjb to inventory these slots. In that case, it does nothing and completes immediately.

1. Why would this occur?

2. What I'm really trying to accomplish here is to enable auto cleaning on the library and NOT have NetWorker do it, BUT, I don't want NetWorker to use those two slots for anything. I know of no way to make NetWorker not see those two slots, or refuse to use them, other than to change the configuration on the physical library itself to 1-40 and rerun jbconfig. BUT if I do that, I won't have use of those slots from the library GUI, and I need to be able to access those slots from the library itself. The only way I could think of to ensure that NetWorker would not use those slots was to assign them as cleaning slots and turn on auto cleaning, BUT I also set the 'Cleaning interval' and 'Date last cleaned' fields to blank for all the devices in hopes that by not having a Cleaning interval value defined for that field that NetWorker would not actually auto clean even though it's set to. I like having NetWorker report that there is a cleaning cartridge in these slots so that I know they're there, but I don't want it to actually do anything with them. The library will handle the cleaning. Do I have this set correctly to allow NetWorker to report them but not actually do anything with them? If the drives report they they need to be cleaned, and the library is set to auto clean then that should take care of it, but will NetWorker attempt to respond since I have it set to auto clean even though I have no interval defined?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210