Networker

Re: [Networker] will staging process slow-down backup to disk?

2007-04-12 11:13:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] will staging process slow-down backup to disk?
From: Adrian Saul <asaul AT HOME-BOX.ODS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:06:53 +1000
It would be expected - the write activity of the backups would contend with the read activity for access to the disk, as is the case with any I/O. It would also have the effect of cancelling any good read patterns you have going (i.e sequential), depending on the underlying disks and RAID setup.

Best bet is watch iostat or your servers equivelent performance monitor, and see what sort of utilisation your disks are hitting. If they are not near 100% busy, something else is your bottleneck.

mark wragge wrote:
Should backup to disk slow down when staging process is moving data from disk
to tape?
We have Windows clients and networker server 7.3.2 using disk backup. When the staging process was running the cloning speed was 10mb/s and 2 client backups started (2 streams). The backup speed reduced to about 1mb/s. When staging is not taking place the backup speed is greater than 10mb/s depending on number of streams. Is this expected or do i need to investigate my configuration further. Thanks Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com