Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?

2007-04-04 15:19:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:12:17 -0400
John> From what I've been told and understand, if you setup NDMP with
John> indexing (DAR), then you cannot restore more than 10,240 files
John> individually at a time, which is a big hassle.  We have
John> filesystems with over a million files in them, and some with 5
John> million plus.  I won't comment on the silliness of the
John> applications doing this mind you, but...

John> In any case, we've been told that the problem is that while
John> NetApp can only handle 10,240 files at a time, they can handle
John> multiple restore requests at a time, but that Networker doesn't
John> handle it right.

John> And who thinks EMC has an incentive to make Networker work better with
John> Netapp?

John> I'd love to be proven wrong here, it would make us re-think moving to
John> NDMP in a big way, if only for the performance boost.

Quick followup, looking at the 7.2.2 Jumbo release notes, it looks
like the limit for both DAR and non-DAR backups is 1,000,000 files for
a restore, which is a big improvement.

Does anyone know what the limit is for 7.3.x of Networker?   So I
guess I'm wrong on the 10,240 part at least.

John