Networker

[Networker] : Pro's and Con's of NDMP

2007-03-29 09:11:41
Subject: [Networker] : Pro's and Con's of NDMP
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:09:52 -0400
Depending on your NAS Vendor, networker NDMP backups work very well, You
can do over the network NDMP or attache couple of drives to the NAS (works
like storage node) and use NDMP there, you need carefull planing and be
aware of how NDMP works before getting into this, read the admin guide on
it.
I use it with Netapp FAS3050C , you can only recover to like NDMP NAS, i.e
Netapp to Netapp Nas, you can re-locate data and do file level restores
etc, you will need to allow enough Devices ( if used as storage node) as
the limitation might be one saveset at a time for each device.
you need to set application parameters such as History=y, DAR=y ( check
admin guide), i typically see 80-100 mb/sec tranfer rate for my NDMP
backups ( LTO2) in storage node type of implementation, you may see
heigher depending on your enviroment and method used.