Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and VMWare ESX 3

2007-03-16 14:30:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and VMWare ESX 3
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:26:42 -0600
Well here is a bit of an update. It appears that the only way
(contrary to what VMWare says) to back up a vmware ESX 3 instance is
to use vcbMounter to create a snapshot to a non vmfs volume. In
otherwords, you had best have a LOT of disk and a LOT of time to
backup you instances.
Backup of anything on a vmfsfile system produces a lot of the
following type of messages for me (with Networker 7.3.2 jumbo).

* trasrv131:/vmfs/volumes/LUN00/vmwsrv21-snap save: Warning inode
number changed for
/vmfs/volumes/45e5930b-6c2d3342-5cd0-001517157ab2/vmwsrv21-snap/scsi0-0-0-vmwsrv21-s010.vmdk
may not be recoverable

I still have 2 cases open with vmware on this so there may be some
resolution coming.

Ken

On 3/15/07, Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi> wrote:
> Only one word to describe why,
>
> Lazy ;-)
>
> (recover was my next choice to look at)

Directed recovery will give you he GUI  and will not need X-window
capabilities of the target.

Best
Dag

--
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.