Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and VMWare ESX 3

2007-03-15 14:23:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and VMWare ESX 3
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:16:12 -0600
Also it looks like if you really need nwrecover, a few other things
may break. I'm still investigating this.

On 3/15/07, Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Well, some pieces of this puzzle are starting to get slowly resolved.
1) as pointed out, to install networker you need to install the
networker support stuff from VMWare (legato-networker-addon.tgz which
is available from
http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/drivers_tools.html)
2) the networker client will now run, but nwrecover is broken. To
resolve this, you need to either copy or link most/all of the stuff in
/usr/lib/vmware/lib to /usr/lib AND you need to get the /usr/X11R6
stuff from and ESX 2.1 server. Note: nwrecover does not seem to be
"supported" to run by VMWare. In fact they've told me that NO XWINDOWS
products will run on and ESX 3 platform and nwrecover should not be
installed. So, while you may be able to back up the server, restoring
things doesn't really seem to be supported.
3) so far, it looks like the only way to backup virtual instances is
with vcbMounter. Not an overly great or acceptable way of doing things
as it takes a lot more time and a lot more disk space to do the
snapshots. I'm still looking for alternatives to this before we
consider putting ESX 3 into production.

Ken

On 3/9/07, O'Brien, Sharon L <Sharon.OBrien AT unisys DOT com> wrote:
> We are in the process of setting up ESX3 vmware systems now, and any
help/hints/scripts/no nos/etc that anyone can provide would be a great help.

> I was planning on backing up client data with Legato on the virtual systems
so that we could do individual file restores if needed, but I'm still unsure of
how to back up the virtual config environment to protect in case of crash/disaster.

> Thanks

Behalf Of Siobhán Ellis
> Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:32 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and VMWare ESX 3
>
> Try using directed restore
>
> As for luns, you need to save with -LL. However, what you need, really, is a
script that uses vcbmounter to export the vm first. I wrote one that took me a
couple of days. Integrates with NetWorker.

> Siobhan Ellis
> IDATA Integrity Pty Ltd
> Sydney
>

> On 9/3/07 7:51 AM, "Ken Gehring" <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone using Networker with ESX3? We've run into a couple of issues.
> > 1) nwrecover doesn't work (complains about missing fonts)
> > 2) we can't backup specific LUNs we get messages such as
> > /vmfs/volumes/45e5930b-6c2d3342-5cd0-001517157ab2 level=full, 575 MB
> > 00:00:45     10 files
> >      * <WARNING> :  Warning inode number changed for
> > /vmfs/volumes/45e5930b-6c2d3342-5cd0-001517157ab2/vmware-vc-2/ may not
> > be  recoverable
> > 3) I'd really prefer not to have to use the VMWare Virtual
> > Consolidated Backup if I don't really have to.
> >
> > Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ken
> >

> Siobhán
>
> To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type
"signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT
listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at

> To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type
"signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT
listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives
at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin