Networker

Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license

2007-03-15 10:58:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:53:37 -0800
> The client is windows, but it is not MSCS - it is C0-Standby
> server. Do I need a Cluster license to backup CO-Standby server?

My experience with Networker cluster backups is that only particular
cluster products were supported on various OSes.  If CO-Standby is not
supported by Networker, then you can't do supported cluster backups of
it.  (Of course you might be able to do some sort of unsupported backups
of it).

The Admin guide lists supported cluster products.  On my 7.2 guide for
Windows, only MSCS is listed.

So my assumption is that the client will *not* detect the cluster and
will not require a cluster license.

> Although info re. MSCS would be useful also. I know that if you now
> specify the ALL saveset on a physical cluster client Networker will
> skip any shared drives.

I would describe such a state as "Utopia".  I've been able to visit, but
I can't seem to live there.  The manual does not state this behavior
explicitly (although I think that is the intent), and different support
personnel have told me different things about what it is and is not
supposed to do.

> If I remember correctly when you try to backup the shared drive using
> the physical node name as the networker client the backup of data will
> not take place. Networker is intelligent enough to know that the drive
> is shared and skips backup of data on that drive.

You can still force the backup by name.  The magic is mostly in the
'All' statement.  You may also need to change the client name in the
'backup command' of the client configuration.

Again, I don't think any of this matters in your case because the client
isn't going to be able to find the configuration unless you're using
MSCS.