Networker

Re: [Networker] "NOT IN MEDIA INDEX" "Duplicate label" errors -HELP

2007-03-15 10:45:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] "NOT IN MEDIA INDEX" "Duplicate label" errors -HELP
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:41:52 -0800
> we had this once and we couldn't fix it.
> This was Legato 7.1.1 / Windows 2003 /HP ESL 9000 / SDLT.
>
> If i remember correctly, this could happen if the Label couldn't
> be written to tape, as Legato removes the Tape from the media DB
> before relabeling. When Verifing the Label, it's reading the old
> Label, as the Label couldn't be written, resulting in a "dublicate
> Label.

No, the error comes before an attempt is made to write the new label.
When it's ready to write to the tape, it tries to allocate the name in
the media database.  At that point, it discovers that the conflict.

So this could happen if the *old* label couldn't be read (because then
it wouldn't know that this is the old tape and that it can delete the
media information).  It would think it was trying to create the same
name on a new tape instead of recycling.