Networker

Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license

2007-03-14 13:46:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:43:02 -0800
> Is it possible to backup 1 cluster node without a cluster agent
> license? The client would be backed up using the physical name. Backup
> of the virtual name is not necessary.
>
> The cluster is co-standby over a WAN and it is not necessary to backup
> the remote node and we do not want to purchase a cluster license. We
> are running networker 6.2 on windows but we will upgrade to 7.3 soon.

Is the client windows as well?

In general, I think the answer is yes for unix clients and no for
windows clients.

On machines I've dealt with, the unix client requres that you run a
cluster installation script.  The 'save' binary looks for it and uses
that information to understand the cluster split.  It also uses it to
notify the server that it's doing a cluster backup and needs a license.
No setup, it's just a normal machine.

The windows client seemed to auto-detect MSCS directly.  We'd have a
group install the cluster software on a machine without telling us, and
it grabbed a cluster license.