Networker

[Networker] Unattended Windows client installation/upgrade

2007-03-01 11:17:57
Subject: [Networker] Unattended Windows client installation/upgrade
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:13:40 -0600
Greetings All,
We currently have a mixture of Windows client versions (all the way back
to 6.1!) in our environment.  Now that we're comfortable with the newer
client versions, we'd like to get all of our Windows Networker client
systems on the same software version.  Ideally, we'd perform unattended
upgrades using our existing Microsoft SMS infrastructure so we don't have
to touch each client.  Theoretically, this would make upgrading these
clients painless after future Networker server upgrades (I know, I'm an
idealist - what can I say  =)).

However, outside of "setup.exe /?", I'm not able to find any good
documentation (Powerlink or otherwise) on peforming unattended client
upgrades or even any additional options for setup.exe.  There is a
"NetWorker.sms" file in the installation package, but it doesn't give us
much more info than "setup.exe /?".

Can anyone point me to a good source of documentation on unattended
installs/upgrades of Windows-based Networker clients?  I'm sure others are
doing this.  Am I just over thinking things?

Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade