Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent problem backing up Exchange

2007-01-31 11:20:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent problem backing up Exchange
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:14:38 -0500
On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:29 AM — 1/31/07, Per-Jonny Kristiansen wrote:

I have been doing exchange backup with good results for a while in a cluster enviroment. 80 GB is not to much data. The most important thing is to be sure the user you use to backup data with has enough user rights in the exchange enviroment, and it works normally fine. First make sure you applied patches for the networker version you use. I would not tune tcp/ip values.

In your case I would check two things. Do you use two network interface ? If so, are both on the same network ? Second check for errors on the interface card. If it has alot of errors then check cable and check switch. Try another port on switch. If continue giving errors on interface card, change the interface card.

We haven't tried a different switch port, but only three or four network errors appear during a backup and they do not coincide with events that are recorded in the event log. Jim Rowskowski sent out a detailed set of information about adjusting TCP/IP parameters. I want to try that approach. Unfortunately, the guy who manages this Exchange server is reluctant to make any registry changes, but this is the path I am advocating. For now, I am in the process of creating a large set of standard text files on one of the two cluster nodes that equals 80GB worth of data to see if a standard file level backup also fails.

Thanks Jim and everyone else for your suggestions. When this problem is resolved, I will post a summary here to explain what we did.