Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with stinit.def for LTO-3

2007-01-25 18:52:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with stinit.def for LTO-3
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:44:46 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Need help with stinit.def for LTO-3, George...:

IBM told me that they cannot transfer me to tech support because we do not have a current maintenance contract with IBM, so no help. Storagetek told me they can't really help with Linux, only Solaris (guess they're part of Sun now).
They also said that you really don't need stinit.def anymore.

I don't know if it's needed or not, but our StorageTek people worked
diligently to get help with the stinit.def for our library.

Here's ours, for HP drives (which is what StorageTek strongly recommended
to us).  They couldn't give us any suggestions for the mode/density
settings beyond the default, but they did provide the PDFs for the SCSI
capabilities of the drives themselves, so I wrote the mode/density
settings based on them.  What you see below is therefore a hybrid of what
they recommended and the blanks that we filled in.

# LTO Generation 3
#
# TVM: here's what Sun/STK recommended:
#
# manufacturer=HP model="Ultrium 3-SCSI" {
# can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering auto-lock
# timeout=800
# long-timeout=14400
# mode=1
# blocksize=0
# density=0x00
# fast-eom=1
# }

manufacturer="HP" model = "Ultrium 3-SCSI" {
        scsi2logical=1
        can-bsr=1
        auto-lock=0
        two-fms=0
        drive-buffering=1
        buffer-writes
        read-ahead=1
        async-writes=1
        can-partitions=0
        fast-eom=1

        #
        # If your stinit supports the timeouts:
        timeout=3600            # 1 hour
        long-timeout=14400      # 4 hours

        # 400 GB + compression
        mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x44 compression=1

        # 400 GB, no compression
        mode2 blocksize=0 density=0x44 compression=0

        # LTO2 ~= 220 GB + compression
        mode3 blocksize=0 density=0x42 compression=1

        # LTO2 ~= 220 GB, no compression
        mode4 blocksize=0 density=0x42 compression=0
}
# end of LTO-3

We've been using this for more than a year, with good results.  We
haven't, however, ever tried the LTO2 write compatibility, since we
never had LTO2 on site and have never tried to write LTO2.  Note that
density code 0x40 (LTO1) is also supported *for reading*, but not writing,
so there's no point defining it as one of the modes.

Note that I got the density settings from the "HP Ultrium tape drives
Technical reference manual Generation 3 drives", part # Q1530-90901 Volume
3, Edition 6, December 2004.  The supported density settings can be found
in the description of the SCSI "REPORT DENSITY SUPPORT" command.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)