Networker

Re: [Networker] Virtual Tape Library - saveset multiplexingslowsmigration

2007-01-25 11:56:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Virtual Tape Library - saveset multiplexingslowsmigration
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:37:52 -0500
>The reason we multiplex is we have to. We are backing up over 400
>clients per night in a 12 hour window. Also as I mentioned in a
previous
>post, we are limited in the number of devices we can use with Networker

>"Network Edition". We have room for 16 virtual drives, and without
>multiplexing, we would never complete our nightly schedule.

If I may be so bold, I would suggest that someone with 400 clients
should probably upgrade to power edition.

>Also when you say turn off multiplexing, do you mean the number of
>Target Sessions to the virtual drive? If so, it is my understanding
that
>even with Target Sessions set to 1, if Networker sees the need for
>another device, and none are available in the pool, it will
>automatically start multiplexing to the virtual drives. Target Sessions

>is not an absolute limit.

You are correct in your interpretation of how target sessions works.
Prior to 7.3, the best you could do was to set server parallelism to
<desired mpx number> times <number of drives>.   It was a hack at best.

However, with 7.3, you have the maximum jobs setting right next to
target sessions.  If you set that value, it will limit the number of
jobs that are sent to that device.