Networker

Re: [Networker] problem installing 64 bit Linux client 7.2

2007-01-24 11:29:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] problem installing 64 bit Linux client 7.2
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:54:44 -0500
What is your processor? "ia64" is the Intel Itanium series, not the AMD64/EM64T version of the Pentium/Athlon series. I don't know too many people using Itaniums yet.

There is no AMD64/EM64T-compatible 7.2 client. I believe that shows up with 7.3 (anyone tried using the 7.3 64-bit client with 7.2 server?)

Our normal workaround is to use the 32-bit client, but you need to install the "ia32-libs" compatibility package (this is on Ubuntu/Debian, haven't tried a RedHat release yet to know if its called differently), and force the install because of the architecture difference.

We also force the installation directory root to be /emul/ia32-linux, but I don't know if that is really necessary or not.

Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
Hi,

when trying to install a NW client for a 64 bit Linux, I get failed dependencies:

[root@drbd02 ~]# rpm -vi lgtoclnt-7.2.2.jumbo-1.ia64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        ld-linux-ia64.so.2 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.2-1.ia64
        libICE.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.2-1.ia64
        libSM.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.2-1.ia64
        libX11.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.2-1.ia64
[snip]

But e.g. xorg-x11-libs is installed... what goes wrong here?

Olaf

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or