Networker

Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?

2007-01-22 23:37:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?
From: Steven Weller <sdweller AT SBCGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:19:31 -0800
To preserve restore times from multiplexed tapes
NetWorker will read every chunk in a single pass. This
is by design of OTF. For example: if I need to restore
multiple files each from a different saveset on the
same tape it will grab all in a single pass rather
than do a rewind each time a new file needs to be
read. This certainly does lend itself to the behavior
you have seen in your testing, which is exactly the
reason there is specific saveset cloning, but also
dramatically enhances single file restores. Group
cloning inherits the single pass read as well.

To gain the demux you are looking for you will require
to do cloning at the savset level just as Curtis has
clearly represented.
I just wanted to ensure you realize that there is a
method to this madness.

-Steve

--- Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM> wrote:

> I just sent a separate message with the subject "How
> NW cloning &
> multiplexing REALLY works."  It contains the results
> of my tests that
> show how NW really deals with cloning and
> multiplexing.  SUMMARY: At
> least in 7.3, it always preserves multiplexing
> unless you force it not
> to do so by specifying one saveset at a time via the
> GUI or nsrclone.
> This includes group cloning/automatic cloning,
> saveset cloning via the
> GUI or the command line, or volume cloning.
>
> ---
> W. Curtis Preston
> Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using
> SANs and NAS
> VP Data Protection
> GlassHouse Technologies

QUERY="'!incomplete,level=full,'savetime>$BEGIN,savetime<$END"