Networker

Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption

2007-01-05 07:04:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:55:40 +0100
On 2007-01-04 10:38, Stan Horwitz revealed:

SH> What you need to do  is look at encryption solutions other than NetWorker. I
SH> suggest you look into investing an encryption appliance. I recently
SH> evaluated an Ingrian Networks encryption appliance and I like it a lot, as
SH> does our CISO. This solution does everything you mentioned, plus more. We're
SH> in the process of determining how to finance this solution now. Check out
SH> details at http://www.ingrian.com/

Or, if you're cheap, and want an open source solution, try GnuPG. We
encrypt database dumps with gnuPG and then move them to a directory which
we in turn back up. If you want an extra layer of security, you ca nelect
to only keep the public key on the server, and keep the private key
somewhere safe. This method probably works better than any hardware
appliance for smaller installations/deployments.

//Oscar