Networker

Re: [Networker] Incoherent Volflags and Volume Status fields for recyclable vols.

2006-12-15 15:21:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Incoherent Volflags and Volume Status fields for recyclable vols.
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:18:36 +1100
Hi Thierry,

On 15/12/06 11:18 PM, "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
wrote:
> A good trial : Let's start with an appendable volume ....
>
> root_/>  mminfo -q volume=HPUX-0001 -r volume,state,volflags
>  volume           flags
> HPUX-0001
>
> root_/> nsrmm -o recyclable HPUX-0001
> Mark tz87 tape HPUX-0001 as recyclable? y
>

> Verifying :
> root_/>  mminfo -q volume=HPUX-0001 -r volume,state,volflags
>  volume           flags
> HPUX-0001      E  r
>
> Surprizing, volume is Recyclable(state=E) and Read-Only(volflags=r)
> !?!?!?!?
>

> Removing the readonly flag .....
>
> root_/> nsrmm -o notreadonly HPUX-0001
> Mark tz87 tape HPUX-0001 as not readonly? y
>
> root_/>  mminfo -q volume=HPUX-0001 -r volume,state,volflags
>  volume           flags
> HPUX-0001
>
> -> volume is NOT NOR readonly NOT recyclable ???????

<snip>

> BUG in 7.2 Windows and Unix ?
> Can someone NOT running 72 have a try ?

I'm working from memory here, as I don't have sufficiently old enough
versions of NetWorker laying around to test, but I believe that the policy
of having recyclable volumes marked as read only started in the NetWorker
6.1.x release tree. If not then, it was around then. (I can test immediately
against a 7.3.x server and verify the same behaviour...)

In a previous job I wrote some recycling management software, which, thanks
to NetWorker 7.3.x's pool based recycling is now dead. However, my software
implemented pool based recycling with full dependency checking for any
version of NetWorker from 5.5.3 onwards. (Well, it may have worked with
earlier versions, but that's when development started.)

In addition to handling the savesets, it also sent out alerts about
recyclable volumes. I seem to remember having to do some code changes, after
logging some very frustrating calls with Legato around the 6.0.x -> 6.1.x
transition phase.

Regardless of exactly when the transition occurred, Legato's response to the
change in behaviour was that someone (internally) had successfully argued
the case that if a volume is recyclable, it must also be readonly, and if
you take the readonly flag away, it is no longer recyclable, because someone
might append more data to it, thus invalidating the rule of recyclability.

So it shouldn't be considered a bug as such --- it really is correct, though
a bit odd to grasp. (Sort of like why you use ">" and "<" in the way you do
in mminfo...)

Cheers,

Preston.

--