Networker

[Networker] Netapp NearStore VTL700 & EMC/Legato Networker experience

2006-12-14 11:21:23
Subject: [Networker] Netapp NearStore VTL700 & EMC/Legato Networker experience
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:09:05 -0500
[also posted on the toasters mailing list]

Hi all,

Has any one else out there dropped a NearStore VTL700 (or other model)
into an existing NetApp/Legato Networker environment?  We're thinking
about doing this, but we'd love to hear people's experiences with it.

Currently, we have SDLT 320 drives connceted via SCSI to the backup
server, which talks over Gigabit to the Filers and other clients.  In
the new plan, we've have FibreChannel connecting the Filers, VTL and
Backup server, with the tape library connected to the VTL only.

Some of our concerns how we're going to be able to restore legacy
Networker backup tapes?  Will the VTL handle tapes it doesn't know
anything about and allow them to be imported?

We're also thinking of finally making the move to NDMP as well from
NFS backups, but we're quite concerned about the limitations of DAR
(Direct Access Restore) allowing us to restore large chunks of NDMP
backups without having to manually break it into chunks due to
Networker/NetApp limits?

Thanks,
John
    John Stoffel - Senior Staff Systems Administrator - System LSI Group
  Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. - http://www.toshiba.com/taec
             john.stoffel AT taec.toshiba DOT com - 508-486-1087