Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-13 22:22:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:21:24 +1100
Hi David,

On 14/12/06 2:07 PM, "David Magda" <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 17:44, Nick Tan wrote:
>
>> I put in a request for a FreeBSD client a few years ago.  I was told
>> that there was no demand for it so it wasn't going to happen.  So I'm
>> stuck with the old 6.0.2 client for now.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is so difficult in porting to
> another POSIX system?

It shouldn't be too difficult, that's the frustrating thing.

Particularly when, as we see by an "nsrexecd -D 9", that the crash cause is
at least clearly documented by the daemon as it starts up:

<regular startup guff>
12/14/06 14:18:36 nsrexecd: Calling clnttcp_create function
12/14/06 14:18:36 nsrexecd: socket bound to arbitrary port
12/14/06 14:18:36 nsrexecd: Calling clnttcp_create function
12/14/06 14:18:36 nsrexecd: socket bound to arbitrary port
Unhandled option to setsockopt, level = 65535, name = 4294967295, length = 4
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

> For OS X (brought up in this thread) I would think that tweaking the
> build environment to generate a "universal" Mach-O binary wouldn't be
> a huge deal.

Agreed. A Mac Mini, XCode, a copy of the source and an engineer with an
interest would undoubtedly solve the problem :-)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
http://enterprise.backup.googlepages.com