Networker

Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackup encryption on the backup server

2006-12-13 14:25:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackup encryption on the backup server
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:17:58 +1100
Hi John,

> What's EMC's answer to this?
>
> Symantec puts encryption on the backup server, 12/12/06
> Symantec Tuesday announced a new encryption feature for its flagship
> NetBackup backup and recovery software that takes the CPU-intensive load
> off of application servers and places the burden onto the backup server.

The thought of increasing the burden on a backup server by an order of
magnitude or two by adding software based encryption to its role isn't
necessarily an attractive one to a lot of users.

Yes, CPU and RAM is cheap these days, but there's not a limitless amount.
I'd suggest compared to hardware encryption this offers little effective
benefit to many of the businesses that are in a situation where from a
compliance perspective they need some form of encryption; i.e., those
businesses will typically also have a large amount of clients. Doing
software based encryption on a modern server for 10 incoming data streams
might not be too bad. Doing it for 100, or 500 is going to seriously hamper
the backup performance. It's for the same reason most companies look towards
disabling virus scanning on incoming data streams to the backup server, etc.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
http://enterprise.backup.googlepages.com