Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk Backup Advice

2006-12-12 10:10:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk Backup Advice
From: Tony Skalski <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:06:26 -0600
Thanks for the feedback.

Siobhán Ellis wrote:
So, you are going to backup systems across the network to a network mounted
disk farm. Therein lies a problem!

Then you are going to clone (not stage?) to tape by pulling the data across
the network again?

The networker server is here in our data center, and the disk farm is at an off-site data center connected via a dedicated GigE link - so no extra traffic on our production network.

My basic question is, why are you going to backup to disk?

Faster restores, off-site disaster recovery. And re: cloning vs. staging, I want to keep the disk backups as long as possible (at least a month) to facilitate restores. It is my understanding that staging will remove the savesets from the disk when they are staged to tape. From reading the list, I gathered that many prefer the manual scripted cloning option than Networker's built-in staging. Of course, the separate retention times for clones vs. originals in 7.3 would help, but that would mean upgrading to 7.3 which does not seem to get high marks here.

ajs
--
Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator