Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-11 17:55:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:45:27 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac, David Johnson...:

Don't you love documentation that tells you exactly which file systems
it supports and how much disk space it needs but omits to point out
that it doesn't run on any hardware currently produced that bears the
"Mac" label?  And to have an installer that claims to start the daemon
but doesn't say anything when it immediately crashes just adds icing
to the cake!

This was the straw that broke the camels back and launched me on my
current search for a replacement for Networker...

You've touched on one of my pet peeves about many application vendors.

Why do we have to wait 6-24 months after an OS or OS update releases
before applications support the OS or new features in the update?  I
absolutely understand that it takes time to "qualify" an application as
supported, but shouldn't that be happening *before* the new OS is
generally available to the world?

ZFS support (mentioned in another thread today) is another perfect
example.  Sun's been touting ZFS as the filesystem to end all filesystems
for well over a year, and it's been shipping since June.  So why did
EMC add NetWorker support for it only in 7.3.2?  Why wasn't it supported
by NetWorker the same day (or the same week, or the same month) it was
available to customers?

Anyone know if any current NetWorker product supports Microsoft Vista?
Microsoft has had preview releases available for months...

I could go on, but you get the point.  EMC isn't alone in this regard,
sadly.  Don't even get me started on Blackboard (LMS) or Oracle...

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)