Networker

[Networker] Block size settings on a Solaris server

2006-12-11 16:47:54
Subject: [Networker] Block size settings on a Solaris server
From: Pierpa <pierpaolo.frassino AT SOLVEIT DOT IT>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:47:41 -0500
Hi,
I have now a NW server v7.2.1 in production on a HPUX v11.11 machine.
It uses a IBM3494 library with 3592 drives type. Due to HBA settings, I
suppose, the networker server uses a block size on its tape 256K in size,
while networker has per default a blocksize 384K in size, for the same
3592 model.
The datazone has 20 storage nodes, both HP and Sun, using each its own
blocking factor ( tipically 256K HP, 384K Solaris ).
During one year in production, no problem to backup/restore.
Now I have to migrate the server on a Solaris v9 platform, Networker
v7.2.1.
I've seen that the HBA driver, working with networker , uses a blocksize
384K in size.
I obviously have to use all the tapes I've already used on HPUX, to
recover data from or to append new backup to, and therefore I have
absolutely to be sure that there are no misunderstandings reading tapes
labeled/written on HP from the new Solaris server. My idea is to set
NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_3592 variable to 256 on the new Solaris server, adding
it to the networker start script.
I think also that this variable's change will affect only the networker
server, and not the storage nodes ( thay'll continue to use their own
blocking factor ).
I'll do the right thing setting up this variable on the solaris server ?
It's the right way to be sure that all the tapes written on the HP
platform will be readable/rewritable on the Solaris one ?? And what about
the storage nodes ???
Thanks a lot for any suggestion
Pierpa