Networker

Re: [Networker] Restoration of previous day's RMAN backup from TAPE

2006-12-06 13:19:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restoration of previous day's RMAN backup from TAPE
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:13:10 +0000
Hi Bhaskar,

When running with a recovery catalogue, I think the word you're looking for is "incarnation". Once an "open resetlogs" has taken place, RMAN considers the database to be a new incarnation (as none of the older Archivelogs or backups are valid to recover to the database as it is now).

Here's a chunk from the RMAN documentation on doing what you're trying to do.

HTH.

Will

         Resetting an Old Incarnation

The following command makes an old incarnation of database PROD1 current again:

# obtain primary key of old incarnation
list incarnation of database prod1;

List of Database Incarnations
DB Key  Inc Key   DB Name   DB ID       CUR    Reset SCN    Reset Time
------- -------   -------   ------      ---    ----------   ----------
1       2         PROD1     1224038686  NO     1            02-JUL-98
1       582       PROD1     1224038686  YES    59727        10-JUL-98

shutdown immediate;
# reset database to old incarnation
reset database to incarnation 2;
# recover it
run { allocate channel dev1 type disk;
    restore controlfile;
    startup mount;
    restore database;
    recover database;
    sql "ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS";
    release channel dev1;
}

Mylavarapu wrote:
Hi,
We have a Target Database as PROD and catalog database as RMANREP.

we use the following script to take the backup.
===================================
connect catalog rman/rman@RMANREP;
connect target sys/manager@PROD;

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';

backup full filesperset 10
format 'FULL_%d_%U'
(database);

release channel t1;
}
===================================

The backup is successful and we are able to see the log files correctly.

While restoring as a first case
--------------------------------------
1. We want to restore the backup which was taken few minutes back.
So we shutdown the DB.started the DB in nomount state.
restored the files using set until time.
the correct backup got restored and the database was opened with reset logs.

now when we try to restore further old backup with the same script by changing the time
RMAN-20208: UNTIL CHANGE is before RESETLOGS change

So I reset the DB incarnation to the date.
Shutdown the DB.
started the DB with nomount.
restored the controlfile and all datafiles of the desired date.
Now till restoration from tape is perfectly working. But while recovering the DB using
RMAN>recover database
we are having the error
RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: RMAN-20208: UNTIL
CHANGE is before RESETLOGS change

Hence we are unable to recover the database using these files.What are the steps to recover the old backed up files from TAPE using oracle RMAN?
Please advice any body who is using Oracle databases to recover.
Thanks for your support.
Bhaskar

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

w.parsons AT leeds.ac DOT uk
UNIX Support
Information Systems Services
The University of Leeds