Networker

Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information

2006-12-04 13:27:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information
From: "Clark, Patricia" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:19:23 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Davina Treiber
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 1:02 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

Tim Mooney wrote:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information,
> Davina...:
>
>> Jeremie Lebec wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have upgraded some old networker client from 6.1.3 to 7.1.4, on
>>> client interface we could see the right version but on the server
>>> side, we still see the old version on client properties (client
>>> information). how could we refresh those information ? a simple
>>> refresh on the server GUI does nothing.
>>>
>> I don't think this ever gets updated. It is set when you first create

>> the client. I have tried in the past to update this using nsradmin
>> but it refuses to do it - I think it is read-only data. Raise a bug
>> with EMC if you feel strongly about it.
>

> Now I've seen everything.  Davina was wrong about something
> Networker-related!  ;-)

Am I?  :-(

I have just had a look at a 7.2.1 Solaris server, and many of the
clients have no information whatsoever about the NetWorker version, OS
type etc. Am I missing something here? I know I can query these by
connecting to the client (echo p | nsradmin -p 390113 -s clientname) but
how do I get the server to update?

> I'm not sure what logic NetWorker uses to update it, but it does
update.
> I've always assumed it updated after every successful backup, but that

> might not be the criterion that NetWorker uses -- maybe even a probe
> will do it.
>
> Tim

I am looking forward to being corrected with more details.

I was curious and looked at my clients on v7.3.2 server.  Most of my
clients were v7.2.1 when I set up my server and clients.  I went through
and upgraded all of my clients after they were backing up to the server
and my "old" networker server was 2 weeks later.  All of the clients
reflect the current version and OS on the networker server.  A positive
comment! I don't know specifically when the update took place.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information