Networker

[Networker] Recovering an older index?

2006-11-28 17:17:45
Subject: [Networker] Recovering an older index?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:09:12 -0500
Hi,

I want to recover an instance of a directory that is older than the browse policy for the given client. The client is only able to browse back to 09/26/06, and I need it from 09/14/06. I'd do a save set recover, but the save set is huge, and I only need a small directory. Also, there would be a bunch of instances to have to piece back
together, many of which, while not huge, are fairly large.

I ran 'nsrck -L7 -t 09/20/06 client' to merge in an older index (size=620 MB, level=9) with the current one. What I should have probably done is picked the previous one from 09/23/06 which was a level full (size=1022 MB), but I missed that one.

Anyway, it requested an older volume with a full index from 05/15/06 (size=923 MB). That was the previous level full. Not sure why it wanted that volume when I specified 09/20/06? Well, it recovered that older index, and now it's just sitting. No prompt back yet. I ran truss against the nsrck process, and it's cranking away, not idle. I would guess that it's performing some kind of update at this point, but it certainly has been running for a while now. The size of the index for this client prior to this escapade was about 977 MB.

1. Any ideas why it wanted to recover from the older full?

2. Does running 'nsrck -L7' also run 'nsrck -L6'?

How long can I expect this to take?

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210