Networker

Re: [Networker] Faulty device status info

2006-11-27 10:22:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Faulty device status info
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:17:47 -0500
On Nov 27, 2006, at 9:46 AM — 11/27/06, Stuart Whitby wrote:

Hmm. Maybe a bit late, but if you can identify the save which thinks it's writing to that drive, that should filter back through to NetWorker. Should be obtainable from the daemon.log if you can't get it using lsof against the [dead] nsrmmd.

Otherwise, if all other backups on that storage node are done, you may be able to kill off the nsrexecd process on that system. The server will see this and restart the mmds. It *may* be possible to try running a small save to that pool with other drives in service mode. Haven't tried this, but this may force nsrd into realising that the mmd is no longer there.

This is very strange. I killed off the save that was going to that device, then after a while, I killed the nsrmmd for it.

On the basis of the email from Bob Wood, I tried adjusting the tape library resource, but it gave me an error that said it needed 13 tapes loaded. I then noticed that in the list of tapes, one item in the list was blank, so I filled it in with the proper label, then I manually loaded that tape into the affected tape drive via the library's control panel. I then tried to use nsrjb -HEv on that drive. It did attempt to unload the tape, but it failed because the tape is defective (probably munged tape marks), so I tried using "nsrjb -u" and it again complained that the tape was is write mode! Sigh!

Bouncing nsrexecd is not an option because this tape library is connected to the server and I have some other backups in progress that I don't want to interrupt.

Unless someone else has any ideas, I guess I will just have to do without that tape drive for a couple of days until I can shut down the networker daemons, empty out /nsr/tmp and restart stuff. Oh well!

Thanks