Networker

Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Netowrker

2006-11-22 11:23:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Netowrker
From: "McBeen, Ben" <Ben.McBeen AT PLUMASBANK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:06:28 -0800
#1 support. We ran Veritas Backup exec here for 10 years. Over the years
we had 25 major show stopper issues. They solved ZERO. Every issue we
had was beyond their scope, and we had to deal with it on our own. By
the end we were rebuilding the system every three months for the ground
up just to keep it running.
So far my experience with Networker/EMC/Legato has been great. 3 issues,
2 solved.

#2 stability. Symantec and veritas make a good couple. Even while the
system was running it took daily intervention to make sure it was not
tipping over.

#3 scalability. We found that the limitations of the backupexec engine
were to profound to handle our growth pattern. We went from using
fifteen media servers to one, and reduced our backup window to hours
instead of days.

We were too afraid to try netbackup from symantec/veritas. I'm sure
others can fill that gap for you.

Ben McBeen
I.T. Systems Engineer
Plumas Bank