Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of / failing

2006-11-21 13:31:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of / failing
From: Charles Heynig <charles.heynig AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:07:48 -0500
I had the exact same problem, but was never able to determine where the problem was. I did get around it with adding a secondary network interface on the box and configuring the backups to use it. I don't know why this fixed it though. Both interfaces are on the same subnet, and go to the same switch. And after it started working with the new setup, I tried switching the cables and the switch ports that they were plugged into. Always with the same result, the backups on the primary interface failed and the backups on the secondary interface never had a problem. With no errors reported on the server, the client, or the switch other than the lost connection exiting message.

Landwehr, Jerome wrote:
I have a NW 7.2.1 data zone with a Unix master server and a Unix network
client, both Solaris 9, on the same subnet, both on gigabit copper
network, no network errors or collisions
I have never been able to get a successful backup of / (yet /var works
everytime)
I've tried everything, deleting the index, backing up from the client,
deleting the client resource, upgrading to 7.2.2 on the client, putting
a .nsr file to skip directories, yet everytime I get about 14MB and then
the error "lost connection to server, exiting"
Of course EMC support 'has never seen this' and has done nothing more
than the obvious
Has anyone seen this or have suggestions? thanks in advance jerry