Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of / failing

2006-11-21 10:38:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of / failing
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:27:40 -0500
afraid that's not the problem

-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Ty Young
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:08 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

Kind of sounds like a hung mountpoint to me (i.e. I've had similar
issues,
and found that doing a "df -k" on the client machine doesn't complete in
that situation.)
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             "Landwehr,

             Jerome"

             <jlandweh@HARRIS.
             COM>                      NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             Sent by: EMC
cc
             NetWorker

             discussion
Subject
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE         [Networker] backup of / failing

             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>

             11/21/2006 09:06

             AM

             Please respond to

               EMC NetWorker

                discussion

             <NETWORKER@LISTSE

              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;

             Please respond to

                "Landwehr,

                  Jerome"

             <jlandweh@HARRIS.

I have a NW 7.2.1 data zone with a Unix master server and a Unix network
client, both Solaris 9, on the same subnet, both on gigabit copper
network, no network errors or collisions

I have never been able to get a successful backup of / (yet /var works
everytime)

I've tried everything, deleting the index, backing up from the client,
deleting the client resource, upgrading to 7.2.2 on the client, putting
a .nsr file to skip directories, yet everytime I get about 14MB and then
the error "lost connection to server, exiting"

Of course EMC support 'has never seen this' and has done nothing more
than the obvious

Has anyone seen this or have suggestions?

thanks in advance

jerry

type