Networker

Re: [Networker] Directives - skip data but keep directory structu re in index

2006-11-16 18:16:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directives - skip data but keep directory structu re in index
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:09:41 -0600
I was going to say something similar.  We use Oracle (on Solaris) but the
principle is the same.  Our installation is small enough that I list each
file that I want to skip explicitly.  My ".nsr" file looks something like
this:

#
# /data/data1/oradata files
+skip: tbl01.dbf
+skip: tmp01.dbf
+skip: redo1.log
+skip: redo2.log
+skip: redo3.log
+skip: redo4.log
+skip: redo5.log
+skip: redo6.log
+skip: redo7.log
+skip: redo8.log
+skip: redo9.log
#
# /data/data2/oradata files
+skip: idx01.dbf
+skip: system01.dbf
+skip: tools01.dbf
+skip: oem_repository.dbf
#

Since we are so small I include all of the files I want to skip in one
master copy of the ".nsr" file and when I make changes I have a script to
copy it to the top of each file system I want it to apply to.  Of course
being my own backup admin, db admin and sys admin helps since I don't have
to worry about someone else changing things without notifying me.

Also, for our month end backups we shut down Oracle and do a cold backup so
I have another script that renames all of the ".nsr" files to ".noskip_nsr"
and another to change it back when that's done.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon