Networker

[Networker] License migration and autochanger questions

2006-11-14 16:45:11
Subject: [Networker] License migration and autochanger questions
From: Jim Buitt <jbuitt AT SIUE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:31:46 -0600
I'm currently in the process of migrating the licenses from a server
with Networker v6.1.1 & a 64-slot jukebox to a server with Networker
v7.2.2 & a 200 slot jukebox.  I filled out the "Host Transfer Affidavit"
and sent it to EMC.  After a day or so I received the new enablers and
authorization codes for the new server but haven't entered them yet.   I
know I can't use the 64 slot autochanger license and expect it to work
with my 200 slot jukebox, so I also plan on eventually purchasing an
upgrade license to handle all the slots.  If memory serves me well, EMC
offers autochanger licenses in 64, 128, 256, and 400 slot
configurations.  I only have 120 tapes at the moment and don't plan on
getting any more anytime soon so I was wondering if I could get away
with getting a 128 slot license, or do I have to waste money by
purchasing a 256 slot license since I have 200 physical slots?

Also, in the meantime before I purchase the upgrade, can enter the
server and 64 slot licenses but tell the server to only use 64 slots out
of 200 just to get the server up and going and then add the additional
slots after I get the upgrade?

Thanks!

--
Jim Buitt, UNIX Server Admin.