Networker

Re: [Networker] Why do I see this message - (NDMP) reading:Input/Output error

2006-11-09 09:11:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why do I see this message - (NDMP) reading:Input/Output error
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:03:01 -0500
---- Original message ----
>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:57:30 +0000
>From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
>Subject: [Networker] Why do I see this message - (NDMP) reading:Input/Output
>error
>To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>
>I have configured an EMC Celerra for backup using NDMP protocol in a Shared
>tape environment. Each time i start the NDMP backup
the the following error is produced when the tape is put into the tape drive --
>  rd=emc-nas:c32t0l0 (NDMP) reading:Input/Output error.
>  The backup is successful and the tape drive appears to write and read
> correctly. Any ideas why this message is being produced
and how can I prevent it.
>  I have Not configured the timers on the Library properties apart for the
> idel device dismount option which is now 2 minutes.

In my NetWorker data zone, a seimilar thing happens every time an NDMP backup
starts. I
back up six Mirapoint email servers via NDMP nightly and every time a backup
starts, there
are errors like the ones you described and errors at the end, right before the
bootstrap
save set is generated. As far as I know, those sorts of errors can be ignored,
at least that
is how it works here. I can restore NDMP data fine, despite those errors.

What's most important is to verify that your data can be restored. Do not take
it on faith
that restores will always work; you need to test them periodically. This is
true for any type
of backup, but it is especially true for NDMP backups.