Networker

Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

2006-10-25 01:03:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey
From: "T. S. Kimball" <t.s.kimball AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:56:33 -0400
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:53:00 -0400, Nancy Magers <nmagers AT GMAIL DOT COM>
wrote:

>1.  How many systems do you backup with Networker?
   137 at the last nsrlic inquiry.

>2.  How many Networker Servers (Zones) do you support?
   2 (sort of; 2nd server is for a special redundant backup)

>3.  How many TB's of data do you support?
   Total (not including offsite copies) - over 150 TB stored.

>4.  How many storage nodes / tape devices / libraries ?
   2 Storage Nodes (one doubles as an AlphaStor server).
   3 x DLT-7000, 4 x LTO-2/FC, 3 x LTO-2/LVD-SCSI, 1 x DLT-8000
   1 x L700 library and 1 x L7 (DLT-8000) autochanger.
   ~60 TB of SATA disk for adv_file use on Server and SN1.

>5.  How many full time FTE are dedicated to supporting legato? (please use
>percentages if partial FTE, for example .5 Windows FTE + .5 Unix FTE)
   0.5 UNIX (over 2/3 people), 0.2 WinTel (over 2-4 people),
   0.5 Operations (over three people)

>6.  If you do have FTE's assigned to backups what are their job titles?
   No one dedicated, including our Operations folks; Everything is shared
   by department.  As lead admin on the project I do planning assistance.

>7.  How is backup monitoring/reporting handled within your organization,
>centrally through data center or decentrally through systems
>administrators?
   Both, sort of.  Depends on what's happening (HW or Networker-specific).

>8.  What operating systems are you supporting for servers/storage nodes
>and clients?
   Servers and SNs are Solaris/SPARC 8.
   Clients are Sol/SPARC 2.5.1-10, Sol/x86|x64 9-10, HP-UX, Linux,
   Win2K Server/Adv Server.

>9.  How many application specific backups do you provide and what type?
>(e.g. Exchange, Oracle, Etc)
   MS SQL Server (several), MS-Cluster (2 nodes), OFM (several).

>10.  Who makes sure your backups work on the weekends and vacations?
   Mostly me; Working on changing that since its already linked to a
   paging system.

--TSK
http://sungak.net