Networker

Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

2006-10-24 13:31:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:17:36 -0400
On Oct 23, 2006, at 3:53 PM — 10/23/06, Nancy Magers wrote:

Hi Legato Listserve

This isn't a legato/networker specific question .... But, how is your
organization structured for Backup/Storage Staffing. I'm trying to get an
idea of how other organizations deal with the storage/server growth
phenomenom - and any information you can provide would be most
appreciated.   Just so we are talking apples and apples - if you could
answer these questions. I know this is a repeat from 2002 - but things
have changed a bit in the last 4 years.

1.  How many systems do you backup with Networker?

Around 240ish.

2.  How many Networker Servers (Zones) do you support?

1

3.  How many TB's of data do you support?

Between 07/01/06 and 10/22/06 a total of 172.1221079979TB worth of data, across 636,503,158 files was backed up via NSR.

4.  How many storage nodes / tape devices / libraries ?

2 storage nodes, one library per node. Both Solaris 9.

5. How many full time FTE are dedicated to supporting legato? (please use
percentages if partial FTE, for example .5 Windows FTE + .5 Unix FTE)

None. I handle all issues regarding NetWorker backups on a day-to-day basis; however, my time is also divided between other areas besides backups. I have on person who serves as my backup for when I am out of town and he has one person who backs him up. I have shown both those people how to do about 90% of what I do with backups, plus I have a lot of home grown documentation. My two backup backup people are exclusively Windows. I know whatever OS has a vowel in it!

6. If you do have FTE's assigned to backups what are their job titles?

Off hand, I don't know. Job titles have always held little importance to me.

7. How is backup monitoring/reporting handled within your organization,
centrally through data center or decentrally through systems
administrators?

We do centralized backups; however, each server's administrator is responsible for verifying the integrity and reliability of their backups. Each administrator receives a save group report, per backup and I have some online reports that can be consulted; however, in my experience few people pay attention to the errors.

8. What operating systems are you supporting for servers/storage nodes
and clients?

In no particular order of anything: Solaris, Tru64 Unix (who's days are numbered here), Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux, Windows, Mac OS X (mostly me).

9. How many application specific backups do you provide and what type?
(e.g. Exchange, Oracle, Etc)

Exchange, Oracle, NDMP, SQL, Windows cluster, Tru64 Unix cluster (which was decommissioned).

10.  Who makes sure your backups work on the weekends and vacations?

If I am online and I notice a failed backup for one of the systems that I control, I will likely do something about it, but that's it. I also review the save group reports for all servers and if I see a problem with a server that is not within my control, I forward that report to the individual who is responsible for that server AND his direct supervisor so they are aware of the issue; however, I rarely get a timely response.

"signoff networker" in the