Networker

Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

2006-10-24 09:16:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:07:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Nancy Magers
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 3:53 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

Hi Legato Listserve

This isn't a legato/networker specific question .... But, how is your
organization structured for Backup/Storage Staffing.  I'm trying to get
an
idea of how other organizations deal with the storage/server growth
phenomenom - and any information you can provide would be most
appreciated.   Just so we are talking apples and apples - if you could
answer these questions.  I know this is a repeat from 2002 - but things
have changed a bit in the last 4 years.

1.  How many systems do you backup with Networker?

2.  How many Networker Servers (Zones) do you support?
      1 - one

3.  How many TB's of data do you support?
        Between 1 and 2 TB

4.  How many storage nodes / tape devices / libraries ?
      1 storage node (the server) with a
      Dell PV-136T Library (60 slot) w three LTO2 drives via fibre

5.  How many full time FTE are dedicated to supporting legato? (please
use
percentages if partial FTE, for example .5 Windows FTE + .5 Unix FTE)
    One  (me)

6.  If you do have FTE's assigned to backups what are their job titles?
     System Admin (UNIX)

7.  How is backup monitoring/reporting handled within your organization,

centrally through data center or decentrally through systems
administrators?
      Via E-mails to all sys admins...

8.  What operating systems are you supporting for servers/storage nodes
and clients?
HPUX, AIX, Open-VMS (on vax, alpha & itanium), Linux, Solaris, Unixware,
Win2k, Win2003

9.  How many application specific backups do you provide and what type?
(e.g. Exchange, Oracle, Etc)
  Two Exchange and one SQL

10.  Who makes sure your backups work on the weekends and vacations?
      Me

Thank you in advance for your input.

Nancy Magers
Manager Unix Systems - CIS
Box 1885
Brown University
Providence, RI 02903

networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this