Networker

Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

2006-10-24 07:42:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:30:31 +0200
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, [utf-8] Nancy Magers wrote:

> Hi Legato Listserve
>
> This isn't a legato/networker specific question .... But, how is your
> organization structured for Backup/Storage Staffing.I'm trying to get an
> idea of how other organizations deal with the storage/server growth
> phenomenom -and any information you can provide would be most
> appreciated. Just so we are talking apples and apples - if you could
> answer these questions.I know this is a repeat from 2002 - but things
> have changed a bit in the last 4 years.
>
> 1.How many systems do you backup with Networker?

  ~260

> 2.How many Networker Servers (Zones) do you support?

  one.

> 3.How many TB's of data do you support?

  ~8Tb.

> 4.How many storage nodes / tape devices / libraries ?

  No storage nodes. 4 LTO2 drives (LVD) in ADIC Scalar 1000 with 438
slots.

> 5.How many full time FTE are dedicated to supporting legato? (please use
> percentages if partial FTE, for example .5 Windows FTE + .5 Unix FTE)

  0.10 (Novell, Exchange, NT), 0.10 (MIS), 0.15 (monitoring), 0.15
(server).

> 6.If you do have FTE's assigned to backups what are their job titles?

  sysadmins.

> 7.How is backup monitoring/reporting handled within your organization,
> centrally through data center or decentrally through systems
> administrators?

  Both. Some groups are monitoring their own. Some groups are manages
centerally.

> 8.What operating systems are you supporting for servers/storage nodes
> and clients?

  Solaris, Linux (RH, Suse, FC), Irix, Netware, Windows 2000/2003.

> 9.How many application specific backups do you provide and what type?
> (e.g. Exchange, Oracle, Etc)

  3 MS-SQL, 4 Exchange, 2 NDMP.

> 10.Who makes sure your backups work on the weekends and vacations?

  Me.

> Thank you in advance for your input.
>
> Nancy Magers
> Manager Unix Systems ג?? CIS
> Box 1885
> Brown University
> Providence, RI 02903

> type "signoff networker" in the
> body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
> edu if you have any problems
> wit this list. You can access the archives at

> PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer
> viruses.

-- Yaron.