Networker

[Networker] Timestamps for recovered Oracle files?

2006-10-19 19:19:48
Subject: [Networker] Timestamps for recovered Oracle files?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:17:53 -0400
Hi,

We're using RMAN and NMO to test backup/recovery of an Oracle test database.
I notice that when we use an RMAN script to recover data files, or even the control file (we recover that to a different location), they all get recovered with the current time (i.e. the time of the recover) and not their original times. Recovery of non_Oracle data, however, always preserves the original time stamp. I'm thinking the time SHOULD change when dealing with database files in order to keep things consistent? Maybe this is reasonable and merely a function of Oracle, or is the NMO
purposely doing this because it knows Oracle will want the current time?

I should note that our RMAN recover script does not have a 'set until time' line. We tried that, but it always bombs with a complaint about the 'set' syntax. Tried everything, including NLS_DATE_FORMAT, environment variables, and even the init.ora file and could never get RMAN to take it so we finally just took out the 'set until time' line, and it worked. Of course, this means it's just recovering the most recent file I guess. We'll obviously have to get that working since that's the whole point of the NetWorker software, but if and when we can get this working will the recovered
files still have the current time?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210