Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Novell Backup Performance

2006-10-16 10:08:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Novell Backup Performance
From: George Raetzke <A02GAR1 AT WPO.CSO.NIU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:57:56 -0500
Martin,

  I have done quite a bit of performance testing over the years on NetWare with
the Legato client.  And the 7.2.1 client is able to keep our 30MB/sec tape
drive busy.  However, what I generally see as the slow down is that you simply
have a lot of small files (this tends to happen more on NetWare boxes because
we tend of have a larger percentage of small user data files).   So start by
generating a large file and do some test backups with the large file.  If that
one runs fast then you probably don't have a bandwidth problem, but a disk
speed access limitation...  You can also do some tests with tsatest.nlm from
novell, this will allow you to see how the server and tsa code performs without
going thru networker at all.  You may need to do some tuning in tsa.cfg

You should also be aware that some of the server based virus scanner recently
started causing the meta-data archive bit to be modified when doing scheduled
scans, which can cause any level backup to basic be a full.  I am working with
McAfee on getting NetShield fixed and have a engineering build that fixed it
but the official patches does appear to have this working right yet...

George A. Raetzke, CNE & LPIC-1
Senior Systems Programmer
Enterprise System Support
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL  60115
graetzke AT niu DOT edu
815-753-8549

>>> almhund AT ALMHUND DOT DE 10/15/2006 11:33:21 AM >>>
Hi,

I have got a backup Performance Problem when i backup a 160 GB Large NSS
Netware Volume with Legato Client 7.2.1 thru a Gbit LAN. I will take 7 Hours
to Backup the Data. Have you some Ideas to get a faster Backup. Thanks

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hofmann

# Martin Hofmann              #
# Quellenweg 3                #