Networker

Re: [Networker] Random errors.

2006-09-28 12:06:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Random errors.
From: Ronny Egner <Ronny.Egner AT SIV DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:03:02 +0200
Luiz Casey schrieb:
We have been having several problems with 7.2. running on Solaris 10. Currently we have 3 drives in service mode. We ran an nsrjb -HHE on them to clear them out and renabled them. It then attempted to mount a new tape for labeling, an old tape for appending, and a recyclable tape for re-labeling. All three of these operations resulted in I/O errors. Much of what we saw earlier. We had a hardware tech come out a couple days ago and tell us it was a "leader" problem. He reset the leader on the drives and told us it was caused my bad tapes. Could this be more of the same "leader" problem we were having ?? We also have had problems where it would finish writing the tapes and we would have to manually unmount the tape. Also some tapes would get stuck on "verifying the label" this happens on random drives and random tapes. Just today a new tape got mounted for automatic labeling and failed, so we reset_device and it re-ran the process automatically and it worked.

Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be great. Also let me know if you need additional information.

Hi,

does your message log (i.e. /nsr/logs/daemon.log, /var/log/messages,
/var/adm/syslog, and so on) show any errors ? If so, please post them.

I little bit information about the connectivity Server <--> Library
would be of great help.
Anyway a lot of trouble with SCSI-attached libraries is caused by
bad cabeling.
Have you power cycled everything (i´ve seen many cases - especially
with small libraries - where power cycling helped).

At last i recommend updating to 7.2.2, but not to 7.3 :-)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronny Egner
Diplom-Ingenieur (BA)

SIV.AG
Konrad-Zuse-Straße 1
18184 Roggentin

Telefon: +49 (0)3 81 / 25 24 422
Telefax: +49 (0)3 81 / 25 24 399

mailto:ronny.egner AT siv DOT de
http://www.siv.de

to whom they are addressed. The views expressed in this
e-mail are those of the individual author and not necessarily
those of SIV.AG.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept by serval anti-virus tools for the presence
of computer viruses.

"signoff networker" in the