Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Pools

2006-09-22 04:53:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Pools
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:49:59 +0100
The problem you'd have by going to multiple pools is that your single drives
would be stuck with one pool anyway, and any overnight backups to the jukebox
would have to wait for other clients to finish in order to change the tape so
that they can use the one for their own pool.  If you get a hung saveset on the
first jukebox backup, you don't get any further jukebox backups that night as
the tape will not be ejected and you have no spare capacity to load tapes for
other pools.

My personal preference is to keep pools as simple as possible and base this on
retention policy.  One pool for each retention period (and keep as few as
reasonably possible) and one for indexes and bootstrap.

If you're specifically looking at improving recovery times, I'd recommend
getting a similar but seperate jukebox to clone to, preferably one which is
based offsite (put it in a shed with power & a fibre connection out the back of
the office).  If you're looking at using all your drives to recover 3 systems
at once, it's because you've had a site based failure, and the benefit of
cloning in this way is that you have easily accessible offsite (or "out of
office" with my shed suggestion) backups which are also based on saveset rather
than tape.  ie, you have one continuous saveset on tape which can just be
streamed back to the server.  You *can* do this to different tapes on a server
by server basis, but that's scripted wizardry rather than default option.

In this case, I'd rather make sure you get the backups and know that recoveries
will happen eventually rather than run the risk of not getting backups but
having great recovery times when you do.

Cheers,

Stuart.