Networker

Re: [Networker] scanner -i on multiple tapes at the same time?

2006-09-20 17:17:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] scanner -i on multiple tapes at the same time?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:09:55 -0400
jortiz> It depends on your version of NetWorker and how the client
jortiz> data is spread out on your tapes.  I've had to do this a lot
jortiz> in the current project I'm working on.

We're running 7.2.x right now, holding off on the 7.3.x upgrade for
now.

jortiz> With NW 6.1.x, you can usually scan up to about 4 tapes at one
jortiz> time before you run into media index corruption.  I'm not sure
jortiz> if you can do more with 7.x.x. Since it's media index
jortiz> structure is different, it might be more resilient and allow
jortiz> you to scan more tapes at one time.

Well, these tapes are mostly from 6.x days, but being scanned with
7.2.x, so I think I'll be ok since I'm just doing two scans in
parallel.  One targeted at a specific SSID, the other over the entire
tape.

jortiz> In general, if you are working with a select number of
jortiz> clients, you should have only one scan running for each client
jortiz> that you are recovering.  This avoids a lock conflict when
jortiz> trying to update the individual client index.

Thanks, that's sorta what I figured, but I was hoping to speed things
up by doing more parallel scans.

John