Networker

[Networker] Protecting specific volumes / pools

2006-09-13 06:42:03
Subject: [Networker] Protecting specific volumes / pools
From: "Law, Steve [UK]" <Steve.Law AT CGI-EUROPE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:27:37 +0100
Hi,

I'm no Legato expert but have a problem I'm hoping someone can help
with.

We currently use Legato (7.1.3 build 404 on Win2003) with a tape library
with a standard rotation cycle where the tapes are taken off site every
day and returned 2 or 4 weeks later depending on what day it is. We have
two pools, one ("DailyProduction") for the main data backups going to 3
tapes and a second ("DailyIndex") which just writes the indexes to a
dedicated volume, as we found that makes it much quicker to recover the
bootstrap and indexes etc in a disaster recovery situation.

We have a gang of guys who change tapes for us, and because we need the
tapes in the cycle to be overwritten, they delete the volumes from the
Legato volumes tab and then run batch file nsrjb commands which relabel
the tapes according to the day and week and the pools they need to be
in.

Due to SOX compliance mgmt now want specific files on our Notes servers
to be backed up daily, removed offsite daily and kept for 7 years. Our
solution is to introduce a new set of 5 daily tapes which will go round
and round and never be relabelled so that the Notes files (only about
700mb) keep being appended to these tapes until they fill up and are
replaced.

Our concern is that the tape changing guys will put these tapes in with
the rest and accidentally relabel them. To do this they would have to
first delete the Volume entry within Legato, but frankly we wouldn't put
it past them, even if these Notes tapes have a radically different
volume name to the usual daily data volumes. The nsrjb batch files
address the first 4 or 6 tapes in the slots (depending on whether it's a
weekday or weekend backup), but if the Notes/SOX tape was accidentally
put in these first slots, then it would be a temptation for one of the
tape guys to think "Weird name, oh well might as well delete the volume
entry just like with the others". And if there were 6 months of appended
backups on the tape, that would be bad.

So I'm looking for a way to make sure these tapes/volumes are appendable
but not relabel-able. Is there a way I can make volumes within that pool
"read-only" so they can't be deleted, but still appendable? Are there
extra ways I can protect the tapes in this Notes/SOX pool beyond setting
up a strict procedure to pass onto the tape changers?

Thanks,

Steve Law

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.